Many dead, scores missing following 6.3 magnitude earthquake in ChristchurchBy ANI
Tuesday, February 22, 2011
WELLINGTON - A 6.3-magnitude earthquake has struck the city of Christchurch in New Zealand for the second time in less than six months, killing a number of people, while scores of others are still trapped in buildings.
The city had experienced a 7.1 magnitude earthquake on September 4, 2010.
Witnesses to the latest quake said that they could hear people screaming from the Pyne Gould Business building, where up to 150 people were feared trapped, stuff.co.nz reports.
A woman, who was working in a department store in central Christchurch when the earthquake struck the city, said: “I was clinging to this cupboard next to my desk. I thought it was going to be fine, but it got worse and worse, and went on for so long. It’s the worst one I’ve felt.”
Another resident of the city said that this was the biggest shake since the original September 4 quake, adding that it had even led to power cuts and disrupted the communication system.
“There’s just water pouring out and sewerage, the whole garage is filled with water. There are cracks in the road,” he added.
According to police, two buses had been crushed by falling debris.
Today’s earthquake happened at a shallow depth of five to six kilometres below ground, the report said. (ANI)