QUITO, Ecuador - A lawyer for Ecuadorean police officers under investigation for last week's uprising that led to five deaths said Friday that his clients are being swept up in a "witch hunt." Attorney Patricio Armijos, who is representing more than 50 agents, said the legal process is plagued with imprecisions and based on suspicions.
QUITO, Ecuador - Ecuador's interior minister says 46 police officers have been detained for alleged participation in the police revolt against President Rafael Correa that claimed five lives.
MADRID - A court official in Spain says a judge wants to question ex-members of Colombia's FARC rebels to investigate that organization's links to the Basque separatist group ETA.
SAO PAULO - The clown who got more votes than any other candidate for Congress will have to convince authorities he can read and write if he wants to take office.
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has dismissed a Spanish judge's account of Basque separatists receiving weapons training in his country, calling it a farce aimed at discrediting his government.
- Huge drug cash seizure in Colombia, official says
- Foreign buyers see big opportunity in housing bust
- Chavez: Civilian militia should be armed full-time
- FARC pays tribute to leader killed in air attack
- Literacy test dims clown's bid for Brazil congress
- Zimbabwe's president cancels Ecuador trip
- Chavez urges peace in Colombia after rebel's death
- Peru water protests halt Cuzco flights
- Obama praises Colombia in wake of rebel's death
- Petrobras set to price biggest share offer
- Colombia: No. 2 rebel commander killed
- Presidents come to support Shakira at NYC show
- Mexico photographer, Argentina reporter win awards
- Man in Brazil amasses $259K in traffic fines
- Colombia: 3 share $500K for tips on bombed rebels
- Temporary rail service halt to Machu Picchu
- Jimmy the painting chimp draws hordes to Rio zoo
- Colombia military kills 22 rebels near border
- Colombian military claims to kill 22 rebels
- The Isabel Allendes visit trapped miners' families
- Correction: Chile Mine-Baby story
- US OKs $30 million in military aid to Colombia
- Nurse: Trapped Chilean miner's Hope born healthy
- Ex-Chilean President to head UN agency
- Official: Chile's Bachelet frontrunner for UN post
- Brazilian architect Niemeyer given Spanish award
- Peru president: New Yorker Berenson not a threat
- Colombian is world's shortest man at 27 inches
- Rio gang forces ambulance driver to give them ride
- Massacre survivor: Victims refused narco work
- 14 cops killed in Colombia ambush, rebels blamed
- Ecuadorean survivor urges migrants to avoid Mexico
- Correction: Colombia Rebel Haven
- Mexico confirms 2nd migrant survived massacre
- Brazilian man accused of inserting needles in baby