Rebellions And Uprisings
QUITO, Ecuador - A lawyer for Ecuadorean police officers under investigation for last week's uprising that led to five deaths said Friday that his clients are being swept up in a "witch hunt." Attorney Patricio Armijos, who is representing more than 50 agents, said the legal process is plagued with imprecisions and based on suspicions.
QUITO, Ecuador - Ecuador's interior minister says 46 police officers have been detained for alleged participation in the police revolt against President Rafael Correa that claimed five lives.
SULAIMANIYAH, Iraq - Kurdish rebels fighting Iran's government from bases across the border in Iraq denied Monday that Iranian forces carried out a cross-border raid.
BOGOTA, Colombia - Colombia's military killed the field marshal and No.
JUBA, Sudan - The government of Southern Sudan is opening cease-fire talks with a commander who launched a revolt against the government following April elections.
- Little known republic in La. celebrates 200 years
- Maoist rebels kill 6 in restive eastern India
- Chechen rebel leader revokes resignation
- 5 soldiers killed in land mine attack in India
- Yemen's army battles rebels in north; dozens dead
- Sudan says troops kill hundreds of Darfur rebels
- Suspected coup plotter surrenders in Philippines
- Nigeria: Sect leader threatens retaliation
- Maoist rebels ambush Indian troops, killing 27
- 3 killed in Kurdish rebel attack in Turkey
- Report: Turkish troops hunt down Kurdish rebels
- 8 Turkish soldiers, 12 rebels killed in clashes
- Military: Turkish troops cross into northern Iraq
- Kurdish rebel chief to abandon peace efforts
- Report: 19 Kurd rebels killed in attack last week
- Officials: clashes in Darfur kill more than 160
- Complaint filed in 1975 killing of Salvadoran poet
- Police: Maoist rebel blast kills 8 troops in India
- Soldiers, rebels battle in Indian Kashmir; 8 dead
- Fierce gunbattle in Indian Kashmir leaves 7 dead
- Congo: Rebel leader in northwest province captured
- UN reports massacre of 100 villagers in Congo
- Kurdish rebels kill 4 Turkish soldiers, wound 7