HOPE, N.D. - The recession that has brought misery to so much of America hasn't touched Walter Grotte.
The unemployment rate fell in two-thirds of the nation's 372 metro areas last month, the Labor Department said Thursday.
DEVILS LAKE, N.D. - It's been called a slow-growing monster: a huge lake that has steadily expanded over the last 20 years, swallowing up thousands of acres, hundreds of buildings and at least two towns in its rising waters.
Here are the 20 most economically stressed counties with populations of at least 25,000 and their August 2010 Stress scores, according to The Associated Press Economic Stress Index: 1.
- At a Glance: Jobless rates around the nation
- ND oil lease auction brings record $158M
- ND study: New oil formation rivals Bakken
- N. Dakota campus resigned to 'Sioux country' end
- Farmers group touts lentils, other healthy legumes
- Fargo's long-term flood solution: 10 years, $1.3B
- Fargo officials: Don't celebrate flood victory yet
- American Indian reservation reaping oil benefits
- Florida family gives up on small-town North Dakota
- Ukraine 'model farm' to help sell ND ag supplies
- County breakdown on proposed smog standards
- Minnesota Power buys power line from ND co-op
- Regulators: ND wind power grew quickly in 2009