Rice brands NYT Karzai-US war on terror fallout article ‘fallacious’
By ANIMonday, June 14, 2010
WASHINGTON - US Ambassador to the United Nations, Susan Rice, has denied a media report which said that Afghan President Hamid Karzai doubts the U.S. and NATO’s ability to defeat the Taliban in Afghanistan.
Rice said that the New York Times article was inaccurate, “if not fallacious.”We don’t have any basis for seeing it as the New York Times portrayed it,” Politico quoted Rice, as saying.
“We have every confidence that the United States and NATO, working with our Afghan partners, will defeat the Taliban in Afghanistan… Hamid Karzai remains an important partner in the Afghan government,” she added.
The article, published on Friday, had cited a senior Afghan official who said that Karzai had lost faith in the Obama administration.
“[Karzai] believes [the West] stole his legitimacy during the elections last year. And then they said publicly that they were going to leave,” The New York Times had quoted a Western diplomat in Kabul, as saying in its article.
“Karzai told me that he can’t trust the Americans to fix the situation here,” the official added. (ANI)