MQM ‘quitting decision’ on hold after Zardari vows to probe into Karachi target killingsBy ANI
Monday, October 18, 2010
ISLAMABAD - The Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) has put on hold its decision to withdraw support from the beleaguered government, after Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari assured Sindh Governor Dr Ishrat-ul-Ebad that a probe would be conducted into the events of target killings in Karachi and the culprits would be brought to book.
Ebad had called on Zardari on Sunday night in the backdrop of rumours that he was resigning, and MQM was parting ways with the Government, The Nation reported.
According to well-placed sources, he told the President that it was not his mandate to take the final decision regarding the future decisions of the party.
“I would take your message of reconciliation and coexistence to the party leadership and the Rabita Committee would take final decision about the future course of action,” the sources quoted Ebad as telling Zardari.
Governor Sindh Dr Ishrat-ul-Ebad presented his resignation to the President during the meeting, besides apprising him of the reservations of MQM over increasing incidents of target killings in Karachi, the paper said. However the President didn’t accept his resignation and stressed the need for resolving all issues with mutual consultation.
The handout issued by the Presidency stated, “The Governor briefed the President on the law and order situation with particular reference to the killings in Karachi in the last two days.”
The President condemned the targeted killings in Karachi and asked the Governor to convey his condolences to the bereaved families, it said, adding that an inquiry will be held into these incidents and that the perpetrators of the crimes will be brought to justice.
Earlier, the MQM had decided to withdraw its governor as well as ministers from the federal and provincial cabinets in protest against the target killings in Karachi last week. (ANI)