NYPD stopped, questioned record 600K people in 2010By ANI
Wednesday, February 23, 2011
NEW YORK - New York City Police officers stopped and questioned over 600,000 people last year, the highest number since the NYPD began releasing the data in 2002.
According to the New York Daily News, police stopped 601,055 people in 2010, an increase of about 4.3 percent from the 575,304 stopped the year before.
Of those stopped, about 14 percent were given summonses or arrested. The remaining 86 percent were questioned, but not charged or issued a summons. It’s not clear how many were frisked.
Donna Lieberman, executive director of the New York Civil Liberties Union, said: “Unfortunately, the pattern of stopping innocent New Yorkers continues. The pattern of stopping enormous numbers of overwhelmingly African-American and Latino men continues.”
The NYPD did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Police officials have repeatedly denied enforcing quotas or targeting blacks and Latinos. (ANI)